Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Let’s get the pecking order straight

Tuesday   11-24-15    Modesto, California

Scripture reading:   Matt 17 - 19

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Matt 18:1-7  About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Which of us is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?" Jesus called a small child over to him and put the child among them.  Then he said, "I assure you, unless you turn from your sins and become as little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.   Therefore, anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.  And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.  But if anyone causes one of these little ones who trusts in me to lose faith, it would be better for that person to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around the neck.  How terrible it will be for anyone who causes others to sin.  NLT


O.  A group of men were following Jesus day and night.  When He decided to go to His home town, they went with Him.  Whenever He traveled to Jerusalem, they traveled with Him.  Perhaps they slept in homes that welcomed them, or sometimes along the roadside.  They ate together.  They hiked together.  They talked a lot.  Keep a group of 12 guys together a few months and soon a pecking order will surface.  Right up to the day of Jesus’ arrest, they were still arguing about who was top dog.  Jesus called over a little kid that was playing nearby and sets the record straight. 


Then He takes advantage of the moment to add a heavy warning about leading a child to lose his tender faith. 


A.  It is much easier to preach to adults than to children.  Most adults have learned how to sit still and listen attentively.  A child’s attention span is often very limited and interruptions are frequent.  Yet, without asking for it, God has thrust me into many situations where I am challenged... yes, and privileged to share the Gospel of Jesus with children of all ages and various cultures.  And every time I read of the importance Jesus gave to little children, I know I have been given a choice gift. 


P.  Yes, Lord, I know.  Children’s ministries often are the lowest on the budget.  In fact, they are mostly made up of dedicated volunteers, as it should be.  But You, Jesus, gave children a high ranking of importance.  Help me to get my pecking order in line with Yours.  I have been amazed at how quickly little children become young adult leaders.  And my life style, my attitudes, my choices will either draw them closer to You or contribute to driving them into doubt and disbelief.  I don’t want that millstone around my neck, that heavy sense of guilt for betraying the tender faith of a child.  May I welcome them and in so doing welcome You.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment