Monday, November 23, 2015

Jesus called him the voice of Satan

Monday   11-23-15    Modesto, California

Scripture reading:   Matt 14 - 16

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Matt 16:16-17  Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you.

Vs 22-23  But Peter took him aside and corrected him. "Heaven forbid, Lord," he said. "This will never happen to you!"  Jesus turned to Peter and said, "Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, and not from God's."  NLT


O.  When Jesus asked his disciples “Who do you say that I am?” Peter declared Him to be the Messiah, the Son of God.  Jesus recognized Peter as speaking for God.  But now a few moments later when Jesus was preparing them for the shock of seeing Him beaten, crucified and killed... Peter takes Jesus aside and rebukes Him for such nonsense.  This time Jesus accuses him as speaking for Satan.  What a sudden switch!  Peter could speak for God, but he certainly wasn’t infallible. 


A.  What a wonderful privilege I have... to be a spokesman for God!  I can address great crowds and proclaim Jesus to be the Christ, the Son of the living God.  Peter was probably feeling pretty good about himself.  Jesus had complicated him for being God’s mouthpiece.  “Did you hear that, boys?” 


Okay, sometimes after I have ministered under the anointing of the Holy Spirit and have seen many lives touched by heaven, I am feeling pretty good about myself.  Danger!  Pride and self confidence can quickly become an open door for the enemy.  At that moment I may be most vulnerable to Satan.


P.  Oh Lord God, I plead with You to keep me from feeling that I have done something great.  When they come to me with compliments, help me to never forget that I can do absolutely nothing without You.  It should be, it must be... a moment of recognition of Your faithfulness.  If King Herod was eaten of worms and died because he accepted the praise of the public (Acts 12) help me never to fall into that satanic trap that has marked the decline of some of Your most effective servants.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment