Monday, November 16, 2015

Young Wisdom

Sunday   11-15-15   San Salvador, El Salvador

Scripture reading:    Job 41 – 42      2 Cor 1 – 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Job 42:5-7 "I had heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes.  I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance."


Vs 7 After the LORD had finished speaking to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "I am angry with you and with your two friends, for you have not been right in what you said about me...” NLT


O.  Job’s book intrigues me.  It relates his disasters and tells of only three friends that come to “comfort” him: Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar.  However there is a silent fourth man much younger than the others, Elihu.  Although the others give their discourses, Elihu holds his tongue until all have halted in silence.  Then the book gives 6 whole chapters to his speech.  I have reason to believe that young Elihu had the words of wisdom that Job needed.  After he speaks, Job does not attempt to reply in self defense as he did for the others.  Instead God Himself steps into the picture to speak.  And finally God scolds Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar for their attitudes, but He does not scold Elihu.


I am so glad that Job repented and took back everything he had said against God...  and so glad that God forgave him!  Because that means that He will forgive me, too... and you... if, like Job, we repent.


A.  God can use young wisdom, too.  People look at me and think I must be very wise just because I have wrinkles in my face.  True, I have been around the block a few times, but I do not consider myself a man of wisdom.  I often sit amazed at the godly wisdom coming from younger men and women... even godly adolescents...  Yes, and even children!  Wisdom is a gift from God.  Solomon received a wonderful gift of wisdom.  He was young, yet wise.  But he tossed this great gift away in his later life when he turned to many women and their idolatry.  He was now old, but no longer wise.  How sad!


P.  Lord, I pray for wisdom... not so that others may consider me to be wise, 
but rather so that my life may reflect Your divine character in my attitudes expressed and the decisions I make.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment