Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Let’s just skip these two chapters

Tuesday   11-17-15   Home again, Modesto, California

Scripture reading:    2 Cor 7 – 10

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  2 Cor 9:10-11  For God is the one who gives seed to the farmer and then bread to eat.  In the same way, he will give you many opportunities to do good, and he will produce a great harvest of generosity in you.  Yes, you will be enriched so that you can give even more generously. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will break out in thanksgiving to God.  NLT


O.  The missionary, Paul, is taking up the offering and he uses 2 whole chapters to teach the blessing of generosity.  He has been sent out of the church in Antioch of Syria as a missionary.  He has carried the Gospel of Christ to the heathens in Corinth.  Now he is taking up an offering from his converts in Corinth to take back to the Jerusalem churches that are suffering.  That’s a switch.


A.  Do I ever get annoyed when someone in the pulpit stands to take the offering and gives an extended sermonette, complete with texts and illustrations?  Okay, I will admit that I have squirmed a little bit thinking that a visitor might rise and walk out.  Here the Apostle Paul dedicates two complete chapters to take up the offering.  He uses the poverty stricken generous church in Macedonia as an illustration.  As I see it, he puts the squeeze on these Corinthian Christians and then says, “Don’t give because of the pressure I am laying on you, but do it with joy for God loves a cheerful giver.”  Nothing subtle about his tactic!


I will never forget many years ago when a minister friend took me to hear an “evangelist” in a tiny country church in California.  The “evangelist” himself took up the offering with an extended speech, then personally carried a little rectangular box and waved it under the nose of each of us about 20 people waiting for them to dig down in their pockets.  I was so disgusted, I think I gave nothing and walked out before the preaching.  I have always bent over backwards to avoid such a scene, but perhaps the Lord is telling me that the opposite extreme is just as dangerous.


P.  Dear Lord: Why did you inspire Missionary Paul to write two whole chapters of Your manual, the Bible, about giving generously to Your work?  Did I hear You saying, “Get up there and do the same with your converts?”  But Lord, they might get disgusted and walk out.  Oh, I see.  You are saying as Your messenger I should teach them... and practice myself, the joy of giving generously.  For godly stewardship is an important factor in the maturing process of a true Christian, no matter if he or she lives on the poverty level or in extreme wealth.  Hmmm.  Okay, Lord.  Got it... I think!  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment