Tuesday, November 10, 2015

My parents did their best under pressure

Tuesday   11-10-15  San Salvador, El Salvador

Scripture reading:    Job 35-36    1 Cor 7 - 8

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  1 Cor 7:31-32  Those in frequent contact with the things of the world should make good use of them without becoming attached to them, for this world and all it contains will pass away.  In everything you do, I want you to be free from the concerns of this life. NLT


O.  The Apostle Paul, unlike the Apostle Peter, was apparently not married, yet he attempts to offer healthy counsel to those who are married or considering marriage.  In parts of his counsel he makes no claim that he is speaking for God, but this is his opinion.  I believe his counsel is worth reading and taking into consideration.


A.  When my parents were in their teens they were in a very legalistic church organization.  Mother Crawford, who had been a part of the Azuza Street revival, had broken off and moved to Portland, Oregon to establish her own version of the Apostolic Faith, did not encourage marriage.  On the contrary, Reverend Seymour of the Apostolic Faith Church on Azuza Street did marry, and it is said, that this may have been one of the reasons Florence Crawford split off.  I assume she may have had a failed marriage for she had a son, Ray, who became her successor.  She taught her youth not to marry since Jesus was coming soon.  No marriages were performed in her church until decades later.  My parents had to sneak away to a Methodist church and get married. 


About 18 years later, when I was about 5 years old, my mother took a giant step and left the AF church, taking her three smallest children with her, including myself.  She eventually settled in the Assemblies of God Church... whereas my father remained faithful to his AF church, where he had been marvelously saved, until his death.  Both my parents loved the Lord with all their hearts and served Him all their lives... and in spite of their differences, they remained together to raised us in a godly home.


P.  Yes, Lord, I thank You for parents, who in spite of their differences, both loved and served You.  My father was an example of a Christian provider-father during the deep economic depression years, often working two back-to-back full-time jobs and only coming home to eat and sleep.  I often awoke to the sound of his voice as he knelt at the couch in the living room to pray for his family.  My mother gathered her little ones around her daily and read the scriptures, and often a chapter from a good book... and then we all knelt and each in turn led in prayer.  I owe much to my godly parents for they led me to You, Lord Jesus... and, although I failed You many times, I never turned away... but always ran back into Your waiting, loving arms.  Oh the wonder of Your mercy and grace!  I collapse at Your feet again today to worship and to say, “Thank you”.  Amen.


Ralph   

No comments:

Post a Comment