Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Called and sent to speak and live His message

Monday 8-8-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Jer 1 - 2    John 10
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Jer 1:4-8 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, 'I am a youth, For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD.  NKJV


O.  Obviously Jeremiah did not choose his career to be a preacher. God let him know from a child that he was destined to be the voice of God to His people. This fact frightened him… and for good reason. For he was being called to pronounce God’s wrath and judgment upon His people that had turned to the sensual and decadent idolatries of the surrounding nations.


A.  Jeremiah was not going to be awarded the Nobel Peace prize. He was not going to receive a nice honorarium for his sermons. He would not stand at the church door to receive hand shakes with, “I liked your sermon this morning. It made me feel good.” On the contrary, nobody wanted to hear his messages, because they were a call to change their ways. He would be lowered into the mud of a deep well and left to die until someone rescued him. Should I expect everyone to congratulate me on my message?  God still says to me, “Go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak.” Am I passing on God’s message to my hearers? 


P. Dear Lord Jesus, I did not choose a career to become a preacher. Obviously You chose me before my eyes opened at birth. May I be faithful to You until I breathe my final breath. May my words be only Your words and my ways only Your ways! For I have been called and sent to be Your ambassador in an ungodly and potentially dangerous culture. May I practice Your boldness tempered with Your divine wisdom.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment