Thursday, August 25, 2016

Not just a part, nor half of my heart…

Monday 8-22-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Jer 28 - 30    1 John 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Jer 29:12-14 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.  I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your captivity. NKJV

Matt 22:37-38 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'  This is the first and great commandment. NKJV


O. God is not looking for a half-hearted people.  He speaks through Jeremiah in the Old Testament search for Me with all your heart”.  He speaks through Jesus in the New Testament love the LORD your God with all your heart”. 


A.  Oh! how easy it is to get to lovin’ stuff!  Kid’s say, “I love McDonalds.” I love certain music. I  love my new car.  I love my new cell phone or whatever.  It appears that everything is competing for my “love”.  Of course I can argue “Well, you know it is only a figure of speech”.  Is it really? How much time do I devote to it?  I knew of an attractive teenage girl that had a boyfriend and then started liking another guy… so she had one on each side and said, “I’ll just have both of you.” It wasn’t going to work. Soon one of them became boyfriend one and boyfriend two said, “Forget it! The woods is full of better ones than you.”


P.  Lord, I notice in Your Word that You are not seeking half of my heart.  Your Old Testament is full of people that wanted to have You, Jehovah God, plus several other little gods, too. So many things are competing for my attention, but You are encouraging me to keep my eyes fixed upon You.  So, Jesus, I choose to say with the song… “Not just a part, nor half of my heart… Lord I give all to You!”  Amen.    


Ralph

What shall I give Thee, Master?
  Thou who didst die for me.
Shall I give less of what I possess,
  Or shall I give all to Thee?
Jesus, my Lord and Savior;
  Thou hast giv’n all for me;
Thou didst leave Thy home above
  To die on Calvary.
What shall I give Thee, Master?
  Thou hast giv’n all for me;
Not just a part or half of my heart,
    I will give all to Thee.
What shall I give Thee, Master?
  Thou hast redeemed my soul;
My gift is small but it is my all—
  Surrendered to Thy control.
What shall I give Thee, Master?
  Giver of gifts divine!
I will not hold time, talents or gold—
  For everything shall be Thine.



No comments:

Post a Comment