Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Three spoken words by Thomas, Martha and Jesus

Tuesday 8-9-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Jer 3 - 4    John 11
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  John 11:14-16 Then Jesus said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him." Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with Him." Thomas speaks a negative word of despair.

Vs 21-22  Now Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You."  Congratulations, Martha! You have a word of hope… “even now…”

Vs 25  Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life.  (NKJV)  Jesus gives His positive word of certainty, of assurance.

O.  “Lazaruz is dead.” That sounds like the final word, as if the story has ended, but it has only begun. Doubting Thomas tosses in his negative word of fear. “The Jews are just waiting to kill us all… so let’s go die with Lazarus.”  But I am proud of Martha.  She runs to meet Jesus and expresses that with HIs presence there is still hope… “even now!”  Now Jesus speaks words none other could ever say, “I am the resurrection and the life!”

A.  I confess. I am too much like Thomas. When death has already taken its toll I will most likely submit to resignation. It is all over. Final. Finish. It is the end. Then I meet someone who expresses hope, like Martha. I am afraid to allow my hopes to rise, lest they be crashed again to the ground. But Jesus’ words go beyond hope. He speaks positive assurance. So to whom will I listen? The enemy speaks, “death is final”. A spark of hope says, “even now.” And Jesus says, ”I am the answer to your impossible dilemma.”


P.  Lord, I am so prone to bow to reason and say, “Death is the end.” But then someone with a more positive outlook, expresses a spark of hope. I want to hear and believe Your voice, for when You speak it will be a word of certainty… a word of assurance. Teach me to listen to Your voice and to live filled with Your words and Your love that casts out all fear.* Amen.


Ralph

*1 John 4:18  There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear.  KJV


No comments:

Post a Comment