Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The New Songs

Wednesday 8-31-2016  Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading: Eze 12 - 14     Rev 5
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer SOAP for the soul.


S. Rev 5:9-10 And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation and have made us kings and priests to our God;
and we shall reign on the earth." NKJV


O. The 24 elders that were circling the throne of God now sang a new song.  What was new about their song?  God’s people had sung worship to Him for many centuries.  But now God had sent to earth His Prince of Heaven, His only Son. He had been identified in early prophecy to be the Lion of Judah. God had allowed Him to be tortured and killed as the Sacrificial Lamb to freely offer redemption from the curse of sin for all mankind of every tribe, tongue, people and nation!  This was a new concept hard to swallow for the religious leaders of Jesus’ day. How dare this “Man” claim to be God walking on this earth! But John’s vision confirms the reality. Jesus rose from the dead and is openly worshipped by the inhabitants of Heaven together with His Father for they are One. That message is forever new!


A. Today is a day of new songs within the evangelical Church. For decades we sang the old songs written by inspired authors centuries ago. These hymns were filled with scriptural doctrine and truth and those of us who were raised on them still love them. Today we are introduced to new songs almost every week. It is exciting to hear, learn and worship with powerful, inspired new songs. But ever since Jesus rose from the dead the message of our songs has never changed. We have new melodies, new rhythms, new chord structures and new lyrics that lift our spirits to new heights of worship, but the message behind them is still: All Glory to God the Father and to King Jesus, the Lamb of God, slain for our redemption and risen to life again.


P.  Lord, You know I still sing along whenever I hear those old hymns and melodies. Often they bring pictures of a glorious personal experiences from my past.  One takes me back to a cold, dark night where, as a 16 year old kid, I was standing all alone waiting for a bus to take me home. As I sang that song I realized I was not alone. You took my hand and stood with me.  Another takes me to a prayer meeting where God flooded me with His Spirit and I first worshipped Him in a heavenly language. Lord, may I enjoy and worship You with the new songs, but never allow me to forget the old ones that have touched my soul long ago.  Amen.


Ralph

                                                                      There's Within My Heart a Melody

                                                  Text and Music: Luther B. Bridgers 
1. There's within my heart a melody 
Jesus whispers sweet and low: 
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still, 
in all of life's ebb and flow. 
Refrain: 
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, 
sweetest name I know, 
fills my every longing, 
keeps me singing as I go. 

2. All my life was wrecked by sin and strife, 
discord filled my heart with pain; 
Jesus swept across the broken strings, 
stirred the slumbering chords again. 
(Refrain) 

3. Though sometimes he leads through waters deep, 
trials fall across the way, 
though sometimes the path seems rough and steep, 
see his footprints all the way. 
(Refrain) 

4. Feasting on the riches of his grace, 
resting neath his sheltering wing, 
always looking on his smiling face, 
that is why I shout and sing. 
(Refrain) 

5. Soon he's coming back to welcome me 
far beyond the starry sky; 
I shall wing my flight to worlds unknown; 
I shall reign with him on high. 
(Refrain) 







No comments:

Post a Comment