Saturday, April 25, 2015

Better than an ephod

Saturday 4-25-15 (Gaiman IBP, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 30-31    1 Chron 10     Matt 12


S.  1 Sam 30:7-8  Then he said to Abiathar the priest, "Bring me the ephod!" So Abiathar brought it. Then David asked the LORD, "Should I chase them? Will I catch them?"  And the LORD told him, "Yes, go after them. You will surely recover everything that was taken from you!"  NLT


O.  David and his little army of men with their wives and families were living in Ziglag in enemy territory to escape the constant hounding of Saul.   Now they had gone away to participate in a battle, but returned early since the Philistine generals did not trust David and his men.  When they arrived home early at Ziglag they found total destruction.  Other enemies, the Amalekites, had swept into their unprotected homes, stolen their wives and families and burned down their city.  David’s army was weeping in hopelessness.  But David sought the Lord, calling for the priest to bring the ephod.  Somehow God communicated with the priests giving specific answers through the mysterious ephod.  David got the word from God, chased down the Amalekites and miraculously recovered all their lost family members unhurt.


A.  We think, “Oh for an ephod today!”  Over and again God gave specific answers through the ephod.  How many times have I been in situations where I did not know which way to go!  Should I turn to the right or the left or turn back?  Our lives are full of situations demanding decisions.  We have no ephod, but we, who know the Lord, can enjoy a close relationship with Him.  Sometimes He speaks to my spirit deep within my heart.  Numerous times He has stopped me in my tracks  with what feels to me like a slap in the chest… to reach out to some needy soul that I was rushing past in my hurry.  Some of these have become stories of thrilling victories.  Life becomes a blessed adventure when I have tried to listen attentively and obey His still small voice within.
 

I’ll never forget the very first time.  I was 17 years old and very timid.  I had just received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and worshiped in unknown tongues for the first time.  Suddenly I felt in my spirit that I should take my mother’s car and drive to a certain spot.  It was about 11 PM when I arrived.  The streets of downtown Portland were vacant.  I parked the car and stood on a street corner.  A drunk man came out of a bar and I ran to talk to him about Jesus and gave him a gospel tract.  He seemed too drunk to understand.  Finally I saw two teenage boys coming a few blocks away.  I knew this was “it”.  One boy refused my gospel tract and pulled the other one across the street to avoid “that crazy kid.”  But the interested one came back across the street, spoke with me and accepted two tracts, one for his friend.  As I watched them walk on into the darkness I was suddenly flooded with joy.  I knew that I had heard the voice of God and tried to obey Him.  


P.  Lord Jesus, I thank You for sending the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, who has taken up residence within every converted soul.  Help us to cultivate that wonderful, close relationship with You.  You have carried me thousands of miles across this spinning globe.  You have led me into astounding victories.  And still today I can listen attentively for Your gentle whisper deep within my soul, or for that tugging on my heart or that slap in my chest as I hurry on my way.  Holy Spirit, Your presence is far better than an ephod.   Amen.


Ralph

Speak, my Lord.  Speak my Lord.
Speak and I’ll be quick to answer Thee
Speak, My Lord.  Speak my Lord.
Speak and I will answer, “Lord, send me!”



No comments:

Post a Comment