Thursday, April 2, 2015

"You wouldn't understand if I told you."

Thursday 4-2-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    Judges 13-16      2 Cor 2


S.   Judg 13:17-18  Then Manoah asked the angel of the LORD, "What is your name? For when all this comes true, we want to honor you."  "Why do you ask my name?" the angel of the LORD replied. "You wouldn't understand if I told you." NLT


O.  The heroic, but tragic story of Samson, the Nazirite, begins with this angelic visit to his “to be” parents, a barren woman and a man named Manoah.  As I read this story I was intrigued by the answer this messenger from God gave them. “Why do you ask my name? the angel of the LORD replied. You wouldn't understand if I told you." NLT  So, as I often do, I went to other translations of this same answer and found:

·     
          Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?” KJV 
·     "Why do you ask My name, seeing it is wonderful?" NKJV, NASU, RSV and NASB
·     "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding.” NIV
·     "Don't even ask my name," the Angel replied, "for it is a secret." TLB
·    “¿Por qué preguntas por mi nombre, que es admirable?”  RVR 1960

All the above are attempts to translate from the Hebrew the meaning of the angel’s answer: beyond understanding, secret, wonderful and admirable.
 

A.  When heaven touches earth our understanding quickly hits its limitations.  When God touches me I often find myself without words and breaking into a heavenly language.  I do not fully understand the “words”… yet I seem to understand their intent whether it is intercession, praise, worship or just joy.  Some of God’s secrets are too big for my little brain.  I will accept that.  Manoah and his wife did not get a “name” answer from the angelic being, but watched in wonder as he suddenly became part of the flames in the fire of their sacrifice and swooped away, ascending with the sparks and smoke into heaven.  If I didn’t get the answer I was hoping for, I guarantee that would have been good enough for me!


P.  Oh Lord, You are too wonderful for my understanding.  Your secrets defy my intelligence.  I find You more than Admirable!… more than Wonderful!  My limited brain simply has to bow at Your presence and worship.  Words seem too limited.  My heart is set aflame.  I have no name to explain what is happening to me.  I just know that I have met with God and that is more than enough.  It will carry me through this day with all its worries and challenges.  Heaven is touching my soul!  And I do not want this moment ever to end! 



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment