Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lord, bring us down a notch or two.

Saturday 4-11-15 (Monte Hermoso, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    1 Sam 11-12  1 Chron 1   2 Cor 11


S.  1 Sam 11:12-15  Then the people exclaimed to Samuel, "Now where are those men who said Saul shouldn't rule over us? Bring them here, and we will kill them!" But Saul replied, "No one will be executed today, for today the LORD has rescued Israel!" Then Samuel said to the people, "Come, let us all go to Gilgal to reaffirm Saul's kingship." So they went to Gilgal, and in a solemn ceremony before the LORD they crowned him king. Then they offered peace offerings to the LORD, and Saul and all the Israelites were very happy. NLT


O.  Saul makes his first big move as king.  He musters a huge army of Israelites and destroys the Ammonites who have refused a peace treaty and are threatening to gouge out the right eye of each of the inhabitants of Jabesh-Gilead and make them servants.  After a great victory, Saul nobly refuses to punish the men that had ridiculed him earlier.  So far so good.  At this point I am thinking, “This young man is going to make a good king.”  Unfortunately, if we read on, it is all downhill from here on for King Saul.


A.  What happens to a man when he starts out well and then slides into a crash?  In this case it seems that a young man, who had been timid and humble, was quite suddenly thrust into a position of popularity and power and he allowed it to go to his head.  What can I learn from this?  Samuel was obedient to the Lord and chose what appeared to be a good man for Israel’s first king. 


It has been my task over an again to choose a good man, a young man of God, to become the pastor of a church that I was helping to establish.  In every case God has guided me to deeply capable, dedicated, visionary servants of the Lord.  With God’s help, some have risen to extreme heights of success with many hundreds, some thousands and others tens of thousands of converts and faithful followers. 


P.  Lord, it is for these, my “spiritual sons and daughters” in ministry, that I pray for today.  The most successful ones are in the greatest danger.  It is a danger that is inside of each of us.  We can blame the devil all we want, but we are often our own worst enemy.  Flushed with power over others, a spirit of independence and rebellion can so easily cause us to overlook our failures… yes, even our sins. 


Oh Lord Jesus, I pray for Your wonderful Holy Spirit to guide each of them and me into Your truth, Your integrity and Your humility.  You said, “Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matt 11:29-30 NIV) 


You are the long awaited Lion of the Tribe of Judah, yet You allowed Yourself to become the humble Lamb of God to be slain for me.  The Lion became a Lamb to rescue me!  Jesus, please bring us down a notch or two so that we can look up and “learn from You”.   Amen.


Ralph
Open my eyes, that I may see

Open my eyes, that I may see
glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
place in my hands the wonderful key
that shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
voices of truth thou sendest clear;
and while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my mouth, and let me bear
gladly the warm truth everywhere;
open my heart and let me prepare
love with thy children thus to share.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!



No comments:

Post a Comment