Thursday, April 2, 2015

…our dear brother Timothy

Wednesday 4-1-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    Judges 11-12     Ps 50      2 Cor 1


S.   2 Cor 1:1-2  This letter is from Paul, appointed by God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and from our dear brother Timothy.  We are writing to God's church in Corinth and to all the Christians throughout Greece.  May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you his grace and peace.  NLT


O.  I like Timothy.  He is mentioned 25 times in 12 of the New Testament books, but never pretends to be an apostle or anyone important.  He was apparently converted during Paul’s first visit to Lystra.  It was there in Lystra that after Paul had healed a lame man, he was first in danger of being worshipped as a god and then driven out of town and stoned until the local people thought he was dead.  Somewhere there was a young Timothy watching all this.  His mother, Eunice, and grandmother, Lois, are mentioned as devout women of God.  He becomes Paul’s right hand helper… ready to fill any and every need… go anywhere… do anything.


A.  I want to be like Timothy.  I do not want a title.  I don’t want to be a “somebody”.  I just want to do the work the Lord has given me and stand behind the great men and women of God that He has raised up.  I want to see them succeed.  I want to stand back and watch them develop into powerful saints of God, witnesses to His power to save, deliver from sin, heal and transform.  I want to see them filled with the passion and love of our Lord Jesus.  And I would like to leave behind me some “Timothys”… men and women who do not seek fame and fortune, but stay true to the faith for their lifetime and strive to perform God’s perfect will for their lives until they cross the finish line.


P.  Lord God, please help me to become a faithful “Timothy” ready to go when You say “go” and ready to stay when You say “stay”… ready to preach when You say “preach” and ready to teach when You say “teach”.  Send me to little children, youth or adults.  Send me to the uneducated and educated alike.  Send me to the wealthy and the poor.  Just let me follow You around and be Your faithful servant.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment