Thursday, April 16, 2015

Roots

Thursday 4-16-15 (Las Grutas, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 18    1 Chron 6    Ps 11    Matt 3


S.  Matt 3:9-10  Don't just say, 'We're safe — we're the descendants of Abraham.' That proves nothing. God can change these stones here into children of Abraham. Even now the ax of God's judgment is poised, ready to sever your roots. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.  NLT


O.  The religious Pharisees and Sadducees were counting on their religious upbringing to save them.  They knew their “roots” all the way back to father Abraham and were very proud of them.  If “roots” could save, they knew they were in.  But John the Baptist took an ax to their “roots” and let them know that the faith of a praying mother or godly father, grand-father or great grand-father was not enough to guarantee their salvation.  Each one of them was responsible for their own decisions and actions.  Chop!  Chop!  There went their religion into the bon-fire!


A.  Digging up ancient genealogies has become quite popular again these days.  It is truly interesting and even exciting to discover one’s roots.  I have been delighted by studies of my ancestors that have been made by some of my relatives.  I have found that I am descended from men and women that bravely risked their very lives to seek virgin territory in Oregon and bring hope for a better life for their children and grandchildren.  I am named after my Uncle Ralph who died of an unknown sickness at 9 years old.  My father was one of the ten boys and three girls that survived life in that cruel wilderness.  My grandparents on both sides were men and women of unshakable faith in God.  


Still their faith did not save their children.  My dad would tell us how he was wonderfully saved and transformed as an adolescent.  Our faith can be and should be passed on to our children, but “saving-faith” requires a choice by each individual.  My “roots” may be impressive, but they cannot carry me through heaven’s pearly gates.


P.  Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for the wonderful heritage that You have given me.  Thank You for praying parents and grandparents.  Thank You for a grandfather that carried the gospel message on horseback to isolated homes in the mountain wilderness of northwest Oregon.   But I know that my salvation does not ride on the shoulders of my ancestors.  I have placed my faith solidly in You, Who loved us enough to send Your Only Begotten Son to rescue us unworthy sinners at the cost of His life.  



Ralph
Saved by His power divine
Saved to new life sublime
Life now is sweet and my joy is complete

For I’m saved… saved… saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment