Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Music in my Soul

Tuesday 4-14-15 (Las Grutas, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 15-16    1 Chron 5    Matt 1


S.  1 Sam 16:23  And whenever the tormenting spirit from God troubled Saul, David would play the harp. Then Saul would feel better, and the tormenting spirit would go away.  NLT 


O.  King Saul had risen from obscurity to popularity in a short time, but now he had disobeyed the word of the Lord that had come through Samuel and Samuel had announced to him that God had rejected him as king and chosen another to reign in his place.  This word from God through Samuel, threw Saul from elation over his victories into deep depression.  Every time he would dwell upon this message from God he would fall into dark depression.  Somebody suggested music to cheer him up… so he called in David, known for his talent to play the harp.  David’s beautiful music on the strings of his harp soothed Saul‘s ragged, troubled soul.


A.  It is amazing how music can strengthen the spirit.  Right now my computer is playing from the internet “In my heart there rings a melody”, one of many gospel songs we sang from childhood.  Suddenly the 10,000 mile distance from home seems to be bridged.  My lonely spirit here in this little hotel room is comforted.  Tears of joy replace tears of solitude.  Along with the music comes the wonderful Comforter, God’s Holy Spirit.  And I find myself worshipping the Lord God of heaven. 


Through the glass doors opening to my balcony I watch the waves of the southern Atlantic Ocean crash against a reef.  The wind is up and the tide is out this morning.  A fishing ship balances on the distant horizon.  I drink in the beauty of the scene and listen to the harmony of the music and my spirit is calmed.



P.  I worship You, my Lord, Creator of these turquoise waves that ceaselessly crash into spray.  You are the God that designed each of the incredible variety of living creatures that make their home deep beneath those waves.  You are so awesome!  Yet You care about me!  Yes, You care about me… about me!  Your love splashes over me like a refreshing wave of Your sea.  I will wait for You.  Soon You will come for me and take me home… to Your home… and to my home… eternity with You. 


“But until then my heart will go on singing, until then with joy I’ll carry on, until the day my eyes behold the city, until the day God calls me home.”


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment