Friday, April 10, 2015

Off to a Good Start

Friday 4-10-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading: 1 Sam 8-10  2 Cor 10


S.  1 Sam 10:22-26  And the LORD replied, "He is hiding among the baggage." So they found him and brought him out, and he stood head and shoulders above anyone else.  Then Samuel said to all the people, "This is the man the LORD has chosen as your king. No one in all Israel is his equal!"And all the people shouted, "Long live the king!" Then Samuel told the people what the rights and duties of a king were. He wrote them down on a scroll and placed it before the LORD. Then Samuel sent the people home again.  When Saul returned to his home at Gibeah, a band of men whose hearts God had touched became his constant companions. NLT


O.  It appears that Saul, the first king of Israel, is off to a good start.  He is handsome and head and shoulders taller than others.  He is obedient to his father, going out to search for their donkeys.  The Spirit of God came upon him and he joined with the prophets prophesying.  He seems humble, even timid, as he hides among the baggage when chosen to be king.  He starts off obeying Samuel’s instructions.  God even touched the hearts of a band of men to become his companions.  But later we will see the tragedies and how power reveals the true character of a person.  Saul had everything going his way at the start.


A.  The Lord has given many of us a great start.  Our parents went to great effort to instill within our little hearts the Word of God.  We were taught to be obedient, to be respectful of our teachers in school and to respect the property of others.  We were taken to church from birth… and encouraged to open our hearts to Christ as little children.  We were taken to the streets along with our mother to show us the example of a heart that cares about the needs of others.  We were encouraged to get top grades in school.  We were made to believe that our lives could count for something.


P.  Lord, I have no excuses.  If I fail You, I cannot blame my parents or my peers.  You surrounded me with men and women whose “hearts You had touched.”  So touch my heart today!  May I become one of those men whose heart You have touched!  May I draw close to some younger servant and be an encouragement in their walk with You and help to give them a good start.  Make me a blessing to someone today.  Amen.


Ralph
Make Me a Blessing
1 Out in the highways and byways of life,
many are weary and sad;
are weary and sad
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
making the sorrowing glad.

Refrain:
Make me 
a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life
out of my life
May Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O savior, I pray,
I pray Thee, my Savior,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

2 Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove
true ev'ry moment you live.

Refrain:

3 Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.
Refrain



No comments:

Post a Comment