Monday, April 6, 2015

No, Never Alone!

Monday 4-6-15 (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Scripture reading:    Ruth 3-4     Ps 64, 65        2 Cor 6


S.   2 Cor 6:16-18 "I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people.  Therefore, come out from them and separate yourselves from them, says the Lord.  Don't touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you. And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." NLT


O.  Here the Apostle Paul quotes or paraphrases from 3 different portions of the Old Testament scriptures (Lev 26:11-12, Ezek 37:27 and 2 Sam 7:14). He combines these promises which were originally directed at the Israelites if they remained faithful to God, and now Paul applies them to the Corinthian Christians many of whom were Gentiles. 


A.  This is a breath-taking presentation of Our Almighty, Creator God that promises to not remain distant and aloof, but in the same measure that we separate ourselves from the filthiness of this world, He promises to welcome us, draw close to us, walk with us, be Our Father and we are welcomed into his loving arms to become His sons and daughters.


P.  Father, my Father, my loving, tender Father… even now I can feel Your arms embracing me.  I do not… I can not… deserve such tender treatment, but You have sent us Your Son, Jesus, to… at great cost… tear away the curtain of separation and throw open the door to Your throne room for us unworthy, repentant sinners.  What joy!  What relaxation!  What comfort!  I am without words!  Incredible, but true!  “You, my eternal God, have become my refuge and I rest in Your everlasting arms!” (Deut 33:27)


How many times… while the lightning flashed and the thunder rolled?… How many times when the breakers were swamping my sinking soul?… How many times I have begun to sing the old gospel song, written by an unknown author: “No, never alone!”


No, Never Alone!
1.    I’ve seen the lightning flashing,
And heard the thunder roll,
I’ve felt sin’s breakers dashing,
Trying to conquer my soul;
I’ve heard the voice of my Savior,
Telling me still to fight on,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.
o    Refrain:
No, never alone,
No, never alone,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.
2.    The world’s fierce winds are blowing,
Temptation’s sharp and keen,
I have a peace in knowing
My Savior stands between—
He stands to shield me from danger,
When earthly friends are gone,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.
3.    When in affliction’s valley
I’m treading the road of care,
My Savior helps me to carry
My cross when heavy to bear,
Though all around me is darkness,
Earthly joys all flown;
My Savior whispers His promise,
“I never will leave thee alone.”
4.    He died for me on the mountain,
For me they pierced His side,
For me He opened the fountain,
The crimson, cleansing tide;
For me He’s waiting in glory,
Seated upon His throne,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment