Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Rock of Escape

Monday 4-20-15 (Las Grutas, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 23    Ps 31, 54    Matt 7


S.  1 Sam 23:28  Ever since that time, the place where David was camped has been called the Rock of Escape. NLT

Ps 31:2  Be for me a great rock of safety, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.  NLT

Matt 7:24-25 "Anyone who listens to my teaching and obeys me is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.” NLT


O.  In today’s Old and New Testament readings I find three separate references to a large rock as a place of safety.  David had been chased to a “great rock” by Saul into a distant wilderness and Saul was close behind him with his army bent to taking David’s life.  Suddenly Saul was advised that the Philistines were attacking his home area and he and his army left chasing David and returned to defend his cities.  Ever since that time, the place where David was camped has been called the Rock of Escape.  

In his psalm David refers to the safety that a great rock can provide.  And Jesus’ declares that His teaching is the rock upon which we can establish our lives to safely withstand the storms of life and the attacks of the enemy of our souls.


A.  As we attend the institutions of “higher learning” we discover many and varied ideas of highly respected men of the past.  They push forward their theories concerning life and death.  Their words have a sound of authority.  Important men and women proclaim their ideas as though they were truth.  Thousands are swayed by their philosophies and theories.  Yet they are only ideas of men.  Jesus tells us that there is a lot of sandy soil out there.  If we build on it we will not stand up under the storm.  He gives us a great, safe rock upon which we may build with confidence… His teaching.


P.  Lord, help me, like David, to set up my camp by Your “Rock of Escape”.  When the enemy is close upon my heels You will turn him back and when the storms of men’s ideas flood over my fragile house… it will remain safe, because You have become my Rock of Salvation.  Amen. 

Ralph
"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"
by Edward Mote, 1797-1874
1. My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.





No comments:

Post a Comment