Monday, April 27, 2015

The Art of Waiting

Sunday 4-26-15 (Gaiman IBP, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  2 Sam 1      Ps 140     Matt 13


S.  2 Sam 1:11-12  David and his men tore their clothes in sorrow when they heard the news.  They mourned and wept and fasted all day for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the LORD's army and the nation of Israel, because so many had died that day… vs 17-18  Then David composed a funeral song for Saul and Jonathan. Later he commanded that it be taught to all the people of Judah.  It is known as the Song of the Bow… vs 19  Your pride and joy, O Israel, lies dead on the hills!  How the mighty heroes have fallen!  NLT

Acts 13:22 …He (God) gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart… KJV


O.  There is something special about David.  Saul has chased David for years seeking to kill him, yet David shows high regard for Saul because he was “God’s anointed,” chosen to be Israel’s first king.  It is not surprising that David would mourn for Jonathan since they had been best friends, but Saul?  Now David composes a song to remember these heroes, Saul and Jonathan.  All through Saul’s life and now even after his death David shows deep respect for Saul, God’s anointed one.  Lesser men would have wanted to seek vengeance.  But David had at least two situations when he could have killed Saul or allowed one of his men to kill him, but no.  Even though David had been anointed by Samuel to be the new king, still David refuses to force the issue.  For years he waits for God timing to erase Saul from the scene and even mourns for him before he steps into his role as king. 


A.  I am so impatient.  I want to step in and bring an end to the situation.  David waits patiently; running, dodging and hiding from King Saul all the while.  He knew that if the Lord preserved his life he would eventually be crowned king.  But in the meantime he waits for God’s perfect timing. 


There was something about David that God liked.  Was it his faithfulness to his monarch, Saul?  Was it his valor, his courage?  Was it his endless stream of songs of praise and worship?  Was it his total dependence upon the Lord?  Was it this spirit of waiting… trusting in God to bring about his success?  Maybe it was all of these, for Paul quotes God as saying of David, “Here is a man after my own heart!” 


P.  Father in heaven, I want to be that man after Your own heart.  I want to please you.  I am not valiant like David.  I am not a great songwriter.  But maybe You could teach me the art of waiting.  I need the patience to trust You and wait for Your perfect timing.  For this I ask today.  Amen.


Ralph

Change my heart, Oh God
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, Oh God
May I be like You.
You are the Potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me.
This is what I pray.
Change my heart, oh God
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, oh God
May I be like You.
Eddie Espinoza


No comments:

Post a Comment