Friday, October 16, 2015

How to Recognize a Fanatic

Friday   10-16-15  Home in Modesto
Scripture reading:    Mal 3-4   Ps 148   Acts 5

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Mal 3:16-17  Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.  "They will be my people," says the LORD Almighty. "On the day when I act, they will be my own special treasure.  NLT


O.  Many Israelites had set God aside like an old fashioned idea and forgotten Him.  But God was compiling a special list of names... His personal treasures, those that loved to think about Him, talked together about Him, and who revered Him and loved Him.


A.  Here is how you recognize a religious fanatic:  They talk about Jesus in common conversation... not just in church.  The workers are sitting around at lunch break and they are liable to say something like, “You know what Jesus did for me this morning?  I prayed and He healed my cat!”  Or “My car wouldn’t start so I asked Him to help me and it started right up!”  His companion workers roll their eyes and whisper, “What a fanatic!”  In the meantime, God is writing down their name on a treasure list of His special fans. 


P.  Lord, for some reason it is okay to talk about the wins of our favorite football team, name the best players, and brag on them... but when we brag on what You have done for us it qualifies me as a religious kook.  Jesus, I thank You for a few fanatics, like football player Tim Tebow who stands tall and kneels down for You.  I get the idea from Malachi 3:16-17 that You “kinda like” fanatics and keep a special record of their names.  Help me not to exclude thinking about You and bragging on You from my daily conversation.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment