Thursday, October 15, 2015

Lord, please write it down. I’ve been a good boy today.

Thursday   10-15-15  Home in Modesto again

Scripture reading:    Neh 13   Mal 1-2   Acts 4

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Neh 13:14  Remember me for this, O my God, and do not blot out what I have so faithfully done for the house of my God and its services.

Vs 22  Remember me for this also, O my God, and show mercy to me according to your great love.

Vs 31  Remember me with favor, O my God.  NIV


O.  Nehemiah did many honorable deeds to purify the temple and to correct the acts and attitudes of the priests.  And He wanted to make sure that God didn’t forget his list of honorable deeds.


A.  My brother Nehemiah was not scolded for reminding God of his good deeds,  but I doubt that his words helped God to see and record them.  Jesus told us about another honorable man that stood in the temple reminding God of what a good boy he had been all his life... yet Jesus contrasted his prayer with that of a man who beat his breast and cried out, “Oh, God, I am such a rotten sinner I can’t even look up toward You!  Please forgive me and cleanse me!”  Guess who walked out of the temple reconciled to God!


P.  Lord, I confess I become comfortable when I think I have done some good deed.  I don’t say it out-loud, but inside I am saying, “Did you see that, God?  I did pretty well, didn’t I?  Don’t forget to write that one down!”  We quickly forget the scripture that tells us: “All our righteous acts are like filthy rags” in Your holy eyes.  (Isa 64:6)  OK, God, I know You keep thorough records, but try as I will, my good deeds do not make me holy enough for Your heaven.   You say, “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”  (Romans 3:23)  That’s me, Lord.  So today I humbly kneel at Your cross and rely totally upon Your free gift of forgiveness and cleansing.  Wow!  Now I feel better... knowing that Your righteousness saves me... not mine.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment