Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ralph, this is “your hour”!

Monday   10-05-15  Leon, Spain

Scripture reading:    Esther 3-8      Luke 18

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Est 3:15   At the king's command, the decree went out by the swiftest messengers, and it was proclaimed in the fortress of Susa. Then the king and Haman sat down to drink, but the city of Susa fell into confusion.  NLT


O.  Prime minister Haman develops a hatred for Mordecai since he refuses to bow down to him as he enters the palace gate.  So he talks King Xerxes to give him permission to have all the Jews killed on a single day.  The king does not know that his own “beauty queen” wife is a Jew.  There were probably several million Jews scattered throughout the many provinces.  The people were ordered to attack and kill all Jews, little children, women and men.  Their killers would be rewarded with whatever the Jews had owned.  The date was set, the message went out and the king and Haman sat down to eat and drink.


What kind of a man can order millions of non-threatening, innocent people to a cruel death and then sit down to have a party?  It takes an evil despot.  Haman was an early Adolf Hitler.  In fact, there may have been no Jews for Hitler to murder... if Haman had succeeded in his evil plot.  Mordecai recognized that even if Esther did not intervene at the risk of her life... she would die and many others, but God would send rescue from some other source.  But “Esther, this is your hour!” 


A.  October 2015: “Ralph, this is your hour!”   Jesus often spoke of “His hour”.  When it came it included disgrace, torture and death.  But without death there could be no resurrection.  Without the planting and death of the seed there could be no fruit.  Without challenge, effort, sacrifice and suffering there can be no victory.


P.  I hear You, Lord Jesus... loud and clear.  Queen Esther walked into a potential death chamber to save her people.  I have never yet risked everything to save the lost.  You have offered me choices... each one presenting a challenge to accept or reject.  Every hour has become “my hour.”  Challenges overwhelm me, pushing me beyond my limits.  But You step in and lift my load.  You give me the strength I need.  You saw me weeping before You last night... in total exhaustion... just before being announced to preach.   Then, as I stood to take the pulpit, You came to my rescue.  I knew You would.  And I was literally astonished at the resulting move of Your Holy Spirit.  Help me never to “chicken out” as I face “my hour.”  Amen.


Ralph




No comments:

Post a Comment