Monday, October 12, 2015

Psalm writers talk to themselves

Saturday   10-11-15  Almuñecar, Spain

Scripture reading:    Neh 5-6    Ps 146   Luke 24

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ps 146:1-2  Praise the LORD, I tell myself.  I will praise the LORD as long as I live.  I will sing praises to my God even with my dying breath.  NLT


O.  The psalmist confesses that he talks to himself... in fact he gives orders to himself.  


A.  Now that I am alone, without my Frances, I sometimes catch myself talking to myself.  I think it’s okay, because if a writer of Sacred Script talked to himself... that should be license enough for me to do it, too.  But just a moment!  Take notice that he is telling himself to get off the “complaining train” and get on the “hallelujah train.”  If I am going to talk to myself, I had better be careful what I am feeding my brain.  It is hard to be praising God and be mad at God at the same time.  Sure, God can handle my complaining... but I could get cranky and hard to live with if I start feeding the wrong commands into my inner spirit. 


P.  Lord, I think sometimes I miss the early Monday morning Hallelujah train.  I need to talk to myself and take control of myself.  Fortunately, ten minutes later I can catch the next one... and the ride is much more pleasant than the option.  Your Word teaches me to praise You... not that You need my little feeble praises... but You know that my praise offered to You helps me get my priorities right.  All aboard!  (Train whistle here).  Wow!  What a ride You are giving me!   Amen. 


Ralph

PS.  If I ever get caught talking to myself, I can always whip my cell phone out of my shirt pocket and fake it.  In the airport, on the street, in the store... I see people apparently talking with themselves all the time.  Then I notice the tiny thing in their ear and the clip on their collar.  If you wear one of these you can talk to yourself... even argue with yourself and you won’t be arrested for lunacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment