Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Noise of Singing and Weeping

Friday   9-25-15  (Palma, Mallorca, Spain... home of Daniel and Noemi Rodriguez)

Scripture reading:    Ezra 2-3     Luke 8

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ezra 3:12  Many of the older priests, Levites, and other leaders remembered the first Temple, and they wept aloud when they saw the new Temple's foundation. The others, however, were shouting for joy. The joyful shouting and weeping mingled together in a loud commotion that could be heard far in the distance. ** NLT


O.  The older priest had seen the glorious temple erected by Solomon.  Now they were looking at the foundations being laid for a new temple.  The younger people rejoiced at the sight, but the older priest realized that this temple could never be as spectacular as the former one.  The foundations did not look very impressive to them... and they wept aloud.


A.  Foundations are seldom impressive, but they are vital.  When I was 15 years old I helped my Dad build his first spec house.  I had designed it and drawn the plans.  (I was into that stuff back then.)  We built on a steep slope.  I remember that, once in place, the foundations did not impress me.  They made the house look much smaller than I had expected.  But on that hillside I knew that the foundations had to be anchored with great care.  The future of that house depended upon them.


P.  Jesus, You taught us about foundations.  I thank You for Christian parents that took great care to anchor the souls of their children in the solid rock of the Word.  I memorized scripture long before I could read. I didn’t see the value of it all then, but when I got to Bible School I realized that I had a head-start over many of the other students.  And, yes, verses that I learned before I could read are still alive in my mind and heart today.  Thine be the glory!  Amen.


Ralph

** Sounds like a Pentecostal meeting to me.  The sound of singing and weeping bothered the neighbors... and their neighbors got the authorities after them.  Been there.  Done that.  J


No comments:

Post a Comment