Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A Brokenhearted Man

Thursday 4-28-2016  (Rio Gallegos, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading  2 Sam 3    I Chron 12    Matt 15

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Sam 3:13-16 But one thing I require of you: you shall not see my face unless you first bring Michal, Saul's daughter, when you come to see my face." So David sent messengers to Ishbosheth, Saul's son, saying, "Give me my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to myself for a hundred foreskins of the Philistines." And Ishbosheth sent and took her from her husband, from Paltiel the son of Laish. Then her husband went along with her to Bahurim, weeping behind her. So Abner said to him, "Go, return!" And he returned.  NKJV

O. Years earlier David had requested from Saul the hand of his daughter, Michal... and had won a great battle against the Philistines to win her.  But Saul then rose against David, chasing him into the desert for months, perhaps years. In the meantime, David’s prize, Michal, was given to a man name Paltiel and he took her as his wife.  Now Saul was dead and David had risen to power and although he already had at least 6 wives, David demanded that Saul’s son Ishbosheth bring Michal to him to add to his harem.  But her brokenhearted husband followed her a long ways, weeping... until he was forced to leave her.

A.  What a mess!  Everybody is raving about how great David is and here I am weeping, yes, weeping with this brokenhearted man, Paltiel.  David is already pampered with too many women and demands his rights to this woman who has been for years the wife of Paltiel.  Did David know he was breaking the heart of a man? We are not told, but I think he did. Without doubt Paltiel was pushed aside and nobody cared.  So why am I shedding tears for a man that is never mentioned again in history? I guess it is because I suffer from what people call “empathy”. I admit it. I cannot help myself. I weep with those that weep and rejoice with those that rejoice.  And as I read this story... I seem to become that man pushed away from the woman he loved.

P.  You know me Lord. I’m no good at reading stories of broken hearts. I suffer with those that suffer. I cannot help myself. And sometimes I see the broken hearts of those that surround me and my heart breaks for them, too.  Lord, I thank You for a wonderful wife that was always faithful and loving, even when I am sure that I did not deserve her. Now we are separated, by her crossing over to her new heavenly home. Perhaps, just maybe... maybe my tears are for myself... for I miss her today.  I know You will send Your Comforter... You have not left me alone.  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment