Sunday, May 8, 2016

According to your heart's desire

Wednesday 5-5-2016  (Los Antiguos, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  2 Sam 10    1 Chron 20    Ps 20    Matt 22

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Ps 20:4-5 May He grant you according to your heart's desire, And fulfill all your purpose. We will rejoice in your salvation, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners! May the LORD fulfill all your petitions. NKJV

O. The psalmist sings to us as he plucks the strings of his harp. His inspired song does not promise to give us every whim of our likes and dislikes, but he expresses his desire that we, who trust in Our Lord God, will receive things we never even dared to ask for... they were just secret desires hidden deep down in our heart.

A. The year was 1992. Frances and I were in the USA completing our year of itinerary mostly among our many wonderful churches in the Northern California district.  Frances’ sister, Nancy and her husband had made many trips to the islands of Hawaii. One day Frances casually mentioned to me how nice it would be if we could visit those islands, too. I agreed with her, but the possibility was out of our reach. Within only a few days I received a call from a fellow missionary, Reginald Stone. “Ralph, I had been asked to go to Hawaii to preach a series of ‘Light for the Lost’ banquets, but I am not able to go.  You and Frances have been approved to go in my place if you would like.” In jest I said, “Well, let me pray about it.” (one second pause) “I prayed!  I prayed!” We visited four islands ministering in banquets and many churches. We raise thousands of dollars for LFTL, but also reaped monthly support for our mission to Argentina.  In subsequent itineraries we were privileged to return three times to Hawaii to refresh our support and bless us with some much needed rest.  God was listening to our heart’s desires.

P.  No, Lord, I do not expect You to spoil us with every desire of our heart. But You are often so good to honor even our unspoken desires. Thank You, Lord... and keep ‘em coming as long as my desires fit into Your master plan for my life.  Or as the psalmist puts it, “And fulfill all your purpose.” Amen.

Ralph 


No comments:

Post a Comment