Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I probably will never walk on water again.

Wednesday 4-27-2016  (El Calafate, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading  2 Sam 2    I Chron 11    Ps 142     Matt 14

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Matt 14:25-32 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying,  "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"  And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. NKJV

O. You have to admire Peter. There was a great storm going on and Peter steps right out of the boat expecting the water to sustain his weight. And to the surprise of the other disciples it does support him and he walks on the water toward Jesus.  Until he took his eyes off of Jesus and focused on the high waves of the storm… and began to sink.  Jesus calls him “Man of little faith”.  I would say that his faith was great!

A. I walked on water only once. Pastor Wayne Clark took me ice fishing on Lake Champlain when he was pastor in South Burlington, Vermont. He took me and others driving on the thick ice.  We each drilled a hole to fish. But suddenly a blizzard came up and I could see nothing and no one and hear nothing, but screaming wind.  I panicked.  If this thing didn’t let up I had no idea which way to walk to find Wayne.  I could walk for miles in the wrong direction.  For a moment the snow let up a little and I saw a blurred figure in about 100 feet away. I ran and found Wayne and my walk on water soon ended.  I never got hooked on ice fishing, so I may never walk on water again. 

P. Jesus, if Peter was a man of little faith, what am I?  I am nothing alongside of Peter.  I plead with You to enlarge my faith in You.  I have witnessed some of Your great miracles, but desire to have the faith to see more.  I need You to strengthen my weak faith today. You know some of the miracles I need today:  Please heal my persistent cough and strengthen my voice. You know my companion, Felipe, is struggling to sing and tell stories to the children. And please give me your guidance tomorrow regarding my need for new tires.  Amen. 


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment