Sunday, May 8, 2016

And now... God’s man for this hour! (Applause)

Friday 5-6-2016  (Pico Truncado, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  2 Sam 11 - 12    Ps 51    Matt 23
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Matt 23:1-12 Multitudes listened as Jesus took on the religious leaders.  “Your ‘reverends’ hide behind their polished pulpits and tell you where to go and what to do.  Well, go out and do it, but don’t imitate their actions. They weigh you down with their complicated religion, but wouldn’t lift a finger to help you carry it. They put on a royal religious show to impress the public. They decorate themselves with special religious collars and flowing religious robes. They sit at the head table or the head chair behind the pulpit. And they love to be recognized publically as “doctor”, “reverend”, “professor”, “father”, “apostle” or “prophet”.  Don’t you do that! Throw all your titles to the wind. Forget them. You have one Teacher, the Christ. And the highest rank among you shall be “servant of all”. Anyone among you who exalts himself will be kicked down a few notches, but the one who takes the initiative and humbles himself will find himself lifted higher by God.”  NUHV*

O. Jesus did not pull His punches. He told it like it was... and like it is today. We religious men are announced with great fan-fare. We listen to others describe how wonderful we are and rise from our soft chair and bow as people seated on hard benches applaud our smiles. 

A. I went on TV yesterday... well it was really me and Felipe... or should I say, Felipe and me.  TV can wreck a guy if you are not careful. Sometimes they take you into the powder room to “fix you”. An expert “make-up girl” whisks a light brush around your face. No stray hairs... a puff of powder to hide the shine on the forehead. I practice my smile into the mirror and “Oh! they are announcing me right now!” So I stride out into the waiting cameras looking cool with a special humble expression on my face. Oh, yes!

P.  Ok God. It’s a good thing You never watch religious TV. You might get a sick feeling in your tummy. And Your Son, Jesus might say, “Father, that is not the way I taught ‘em.” Yes, Lord, whenever I get popular, life gets dangerous for me. Help me keep that in mind... and remind me regularly that the higher I rise the lower I’ll stoop and visa versa. Your wonderful Gospel is full of surprises. I love it.  Amen.

Ralph  
*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment