Thursday, January 28, 2016

Am I filled with myself? Or with God’s Holy Spirit?

Thursday  1-28-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Exodus 17 – 20    Acts 3

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Acts 4:8-12 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel:

1.     If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead,

2.     by Him this man stands here before you whole.

3.     This is the 'stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.' 

4.     Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."  NKJV


O.  This same Peter, only a couple of months before, filled with his own strength bragged, “Jesus, I am ready to die for you!” But he had shriveled up into a wimp, denying that he even knew Jesus in front of a servant girl.  

However this time “Filled with the Holy Spirit” he confronts the very men that had condemned Jesus to death and right now had the power to do the same to him... with a four point sermon.  “

1. The same Jesus that you murdered has risen from the dead.  
2. May you and all Israel know that it is in His name that this once paralytic man stands here before you.  
3. (Text) Psalm 118:22 refers to Jesus.  He is the Stone you have rejected, but He is now the Cornerstone.  
4.  (Conclusion) And if you want to make heaven your home, align yourself with this name... for only in His name can anyone be saved!”


A.  The other ex-fisherman, John, was looking on.  He was probably thinking, “Wow!  Are you the same Peter that flunked the test a few months ago?  These guys might decide to crucify us too, you know.” 


So where do I stand?  Am I filled with myself?  Or with God’s Holy Spirit?


P.  Lord, in my own strength I am a failure, a wimp, but “filled with Your Holy Spirit” I can confront the enemy’s top leadership without fear and give them the truth that they so desperately need to hear.  So fill me again, Lord Jesus!  And again and again!  Keep me charged up and “ready to give an answer to everyone who asks me to give the reason for the hope that I have.” (1 Peter 3:15) NKJV  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment