Thursday, January 7, 2016

Look! She’s sneaking up on Jesus!

Thursday 1-7-16 (Yreka, California  Super 8 Motel)     
Scripture reading for today:    Gen 18 - 19     Ps 3    Luke 7

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 7:37-38  Behold a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil.  NKJV


“Look over there!  That well-known prostitute and is sneaking up on Jesus.”  She stands at the door, then quietly creeps up and kneels behind Jesus where He is reclining at the table.  Silent tears of repentance rain down on Jesus’ feet.  Now she let’s down her long hair and tries to dry His feet... “Oh look at that!  She’s kissing His feet!”  And now she opens her flask of perfume to anoint them.  NUHV*


O.  At least 13 men are looking on.  Not just the Host Pharisee, all of them are thinking, “What a nasty scene at the dinner table!  Jesus, can’t you detect the filthiness of the woman that is touching you?” Jesus is loving it. He sees more than these men see.  Without turning his head He sees deep into her rotten, repentant heart.  She wants out of her prison of sin.  He is her door of escape.  Freedom is just minutes away! 


A.  This nasty scene makes me love Jesus even more.  She leaves her kisses, she leaves the scent of her perfume and she leaves her dark, heavy bundle of sin behind... and with the echo of Jesus’ words behind her.  “Your sins are forgiven!”  She dashes out the door feeling much lighter.  Her feet hardly touch the pavement as she runs to some sin-cursed friend... tears still flowing, she sobs, “I’m forgiven!  I’m forgiven!” 


P.  Lord Jesus, I wish I had only needed to come one time to have my sins forgiven.  But no, I confess... each time Your Holy Spirit has convicted me of sin, I have run to weep at Your feet again.  Yes, again and again I have left another ugly burden at Your feet and have heard You say, “If you confess your sins, I am faithful and just to forgive your sins and to cleanse you from all your wickedness.”  I’m forgiven!  I’m forgiven!  I am cleansed!  And my feet hardly touch the ground as I dash to tell some special friend about it.  Thank you, Jesus.  All You ask is for me to quit making excuses... and own up to my “failure” and call it for what it is: “sin”.  And the moment I confess my guilt... You lift off the load and give me a brand new start!  Oh what a Savior!  Amen.


Ralph
*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment