Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Lord has need of it.

Tuesday  1-19-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 47 – 48  Psalm 10    Luke 19

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 19:33-34 But as they were loosing the colt, the owners of it said to them, "Why are you loosing the colt?" And they said, "The Lord has need of him." NKJV
But as the disciples were untying the colt, the owner shows up.  “Hey, you guys!  What do think you are doing?  That’s my colt!”  We know, “But the Lord needs him.”  “Oh!” And with that the owner watches his cute, young untried donkey be led out of sight. NUHV


O.  So Jesus puts the words in their mouths to say to the owner and sends a couple of his disciples to bring him somebody else’s colt.  Why?  “The Lord has need of it.”  So the owner lets them go! There they go... out of sight!  And he doesn’t even merit a mention of his name in the Bible!


A.  Now let’s say I am the proud owner of a brand new top-of-the-line Toyota.  Instead of rolling it into my garage, I leave it in the street to make my neighbors envious.  Now here comes the Youth Pastor looking in the windows and counting the seats.  “What!  You want to pick up a whole load of little brats and take them to Royal Rangers?  They’ll probably dirty up the upholstery... maybe even tear it.  Go find somebody that has an old junker for the job.” 


Speaking of a junker:  I was in Rawson, Chubut, southern Argentina.  It was the best vehicle the church had... Well, it was the only vehicle the church had.  Fact is, it didn’t really belong to the church.  Some unnamed guy was loaning it to the Assembly of God church.  It was an ancient commercial van of sorts with side doors and no windows back of the front seat.  I watched as they loaded it with about 20 kids... yes 20.  I think it was 28 one time!  It had to be pushed to get the engine going.  I helped push it and it fired right up.  Off they went taking Sunday School kids back home to their neighborhood after classes.  Who was the owner?  Mister No Name.  Who cares?  The Lord had need of it!  The kids loved it.  They had a name for the “beast”, but I have forgotten it.


P.  Lord, do You remember that old song, “Give of your best to the Master?”  Well, I do... and I can hear it being played inside my head right now.  Am I holding back something You need?  Help me to be like the unnamed owner of a colt that turned him loose because “You had need of it.”  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment