Thursday, January 14, 2016

Am I His fan or His disciple?

Thursday 1-14-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 34 - 36      Luke 14

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 14:25-26 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple ...

28-29  For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it ...

Vs 33  So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple. NKJV


Huge crowds of people followed Him.  So Jesus stopped, turned around and set them straight.  “Hey, you guys... if you really want to become my follower you are going to have to give me first place even above your dearest family members.  You are my fans, but you are not my true disciples.  You are out to just have a good time, but you haven’t counted the cost... Turn around, go home!  If you are not willing to lay aside everything you cherish in this life... then forget it... You can never become my disciple.” NUHV*


O.  Obviously Jesus was not into counting heads to print up a newsletter bragging about the thousands at His last crusade.  He was not seeking numbers.  He was seeking true, dedicated, sold out disciples that would follow Him past His cross... to their own deaths.


A.  And now, as I sit here with my fingers on this keyboard, I am forced to examine my own heart.  Am I just a fan of Jesus?  Am I into this just for the good-times He brings me?  Am I marching in the crowd without counting the cost? 


P.  Jesus you made it crystal clear.  I must be in it with all I’ve got or step aside and give place to someone else who is ready to really follow You.  I must follow You past Your cross, Your apparent defeat... the defeat that three days later proved to be Your greatest victory... and I must follow You until I die for You.  Help me to count the cost, to never look back and hang in there close to You until together we cross the finish line.  Amen.


Ralph
*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment