Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What’s the “One Thing?”

What’s the “One Thing?”

Sunday 1-10-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 25 - 26   Psalm 6   Luke 10

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 10:40-42 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.  But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." NKJV


Martha is busy getting the banquet ready.  She comes bursting into the living room with her apron on and stirring spoon in her hand and finds her sister sitting at Jesus’ feet.  She had had it with her lazy sister.  “Jesus, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work?”  And now she starts giving orders to Jesus.  “Tell my sister to help me!”  “Oh, Martha, Martha, you are all heated up about lots of things.  But only one thing is really necessary.  Mary has chosen that good thing and I am not going to snatch it away.” NUHV


O.  Only one thing is really necessary?  What about dinner?  What about 13 hungry men?  What about decorating the banquet room?  What about setting the table? 


A.  This short story puts me under conviction.  For without doubt I suffer from the “Martha disease”.  I get down to pray and my mind suddenly floods with “important things” I need to do.  I jump up and tell Jesus I’ll be right back.  But one thing leads to another and at the end of the day I realize I forgot to get back to kneel... or just sit at His feet.


P.  “Ralph! Ralph!” “Oh, is that You, Jesus, knocking on my heart’s door?  I’ll be with you in a minute as soon as I finish.  Things don’t just do themselves you know.”  “What’s that?  One thing?  One important thing?  One necessary thing?  Only one?!  But Lord... Who...?  How...?  When... ?  I think I hear You talking to me about priorities... about first things first... and I crumble at Your feet for I know that I am as addicted to busyness as Martha.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment