Monday, January 25, 2016

Get out of here! And bless me as you go!

Monday  1-25-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Exodus 12 – 13    Psalm 21    Acts 1

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ex 12:31-32  Then he (Pharaoh) called for Moses and Aaron by night, and said, "Rise, go out from among my people, both you and the children of Israel. And go, serve the LORD as you have said.  Also take your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and be gone; and bless me also." NKJV


Ex 12:31-32  Now Pharaoh made an emergency call to Moses and Aaron in the middle of the night, “Get out of our country!  We have had enough of you!  Take your families with you and go worship your God however you want.  Take your herds of livestock with you.  Just get out of here!  And as you go, don’t forget to toss me a blessing, too.  NUHV*


O.  Pharoah’s oldest child had suddenly died that night along with the oldest Egyptian child in every family across Egypt.  God had given Moses and Aaron the power to perform many signs before King Pharaoh.  Often he had called up his magicians and they had done similar tricks.  But that night Pharaoh wasn’t wanting this deadly plague to be copied by his magicians. He was finally ready to release his 600,000 male slaves along with their children and livestock.  “And ... oh, by the way, as you go, toss me a blessing, too.”


A.  What does it take for God to convince unbelievers?  Pharaoh mocked some of the plagues... saying, “Oh that’s nothing.  Look, my guys can do that too.”  Or “That was just a natural phenomenon.  Your God had nothing to do with it.”  But when it touched his oldest son, the one that may have been destined to his throne one day, he had had enough.  Some of us have prayed with tears for our lost loved ones, “Whatever it takes, Lord, get through to him or her before it is too late.”  It is a desperate cry, prayed only after all else has failed.


P.  God, You gave Pharaoh nine chances to release your people, his slaves.  How many chances have You given me?  I am so glad that You didn’t give up on me.  Even when I have failed You again and again, in Your mercy and grace You have just kept coming back with Holy Spirit conviction until I confessed, repented and fell at Your feet in total surrender once more.  Whatever it takes, Lord... keep me close to You.  And, oh yes.  Thank You for tossing me another one of Your marvelous blessings that I didn’t deserve.  Amen.


Ralph

*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment