Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I am not perfect. I am redeemed! Hallelujah!

Monday 1-11-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 27 - 28   Psalm 4   Luke 11

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Gen 27:6-8  "Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, 'Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.' Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you...” NKJV 


O.  Jacob was a scoundrel and he got it from his mother, Rebekah.  Her sons were twins, but not identical.  Esau had a fight with Jacob inside the womb before they were born.  Can you imagine that?  It shook up Rebekah. (Gen 25:22-23)  Still in the womb Esau over-powered Jacob and the hairy child came out first, but Jacob was still hanging on to Esau’s foot.  The fight continued into young adulthood.  This is not a pretty story.  Old blind Isaac thinks he is blessing his favorite son, Esau, and instead he gives sneaky Jacob all the family blessing and authority. 


A.  Isaac’s favorite son, Esau, is now weeping his heart out, robbed of his birthright, his authority and his blessing... and the irrevocable blessing of his father remains on a sneaky, cheating Jacob.  My heart says, “God, how could You let that blessing stand!”


P.  Lord, You saw me praying on my face before you a little while ago.  I was saying, “God, how can even stand the sight of this guy, Jacob?  You should zapped him then and there.”  But then You spoke to my heart and took me back across my past and I realized I should have been zapped long ago.  Maybe You were not looking for a sterling, sinless heart.  Maybe You were responding to a hungry heart determined to find You and Your blessing.  You said, “They that hunger and thirst for Your righteousness will be satisfied.”  (Matt 5:6)  Jacob’s story reveals to me that in spite of my past sins, I can seek and find Your undeserved blessings.  We’re just a bunch of sneaky, fallen scoundrels down here... and You gave Your life’s blood for us all.  I am not perfect. I am redeemed!  Hallelujah!  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment