Friday, January 1, 2016

Do you have a clue who is talking to you?!

Friday   1-1-16  (Nancy and Arlan’s Ranch Boring Oregon)

Scripture reading:  Genesis 1 – 2   Luke 1

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 1:19-20  And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season. KJV


“What! You don’t believe me?  Do you even have a clue who is talking to you?  I am Gabriel that stands in the presence of God and He sent me to you with this good news.  You should be jumping with joy, but you are doubting my words.  NUHV (New Unauthorized Hiatt Version)


O.  That had to be disappointing to Gabriel.  Gabriel had been sent to Daniel in two of his visions and Daniel believed him.  He would very shortly be sent to a young virgin called Mary who would believe him.  He may have been sent in other angelic appearances, but only these four times his name is given.  Gabriel knew the power of His God.  He didn’t have to struggle with doubt.  He stood in God’s presence daily.  What’s the matter with this guy?  Listen Zach!  I speak for God, the Creator of the Universe!


A.  And now God speaks to me through His written word.  I should be jumping with joy with His promises that I have not yet seen fulfilled.  Why am I a doubter?  Many times I have been on the receiving end of His miraculous answers to my prayers.  Many other times he answered my thoughts even before they developed into prayers.  He foresaw my need and surprised me.  I should be as certain of God’s promises as Gabriel, yet too often I reflect Brother Zach’s attitude.  “Lord, but that is humanly impossible!” Duuh!  He is God!  He specializes in the impossible.


P.  Lord God in Heaven, may this New Year that starts today become for me a year of growing, maturing faith in You.  Crush my flimsy doubting spirit.  Help me to take You at Your word even when I know that it is humanly impossible.  Don’t I realize Who’s Word I am reading?!  Gabriel doesn’t doubt Your word.  Make me as solid a believer as Gabriel that stands before Your throne in Heaven.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment