Monday, January 4, 2016

Choice Morsels for My Hungry Soul

Monday 1-4-16 (The Askew’s Ranch, Boring, Oregon)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 9 - 11        Luke 4

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.    Luke 4:3-4  And the devil said to Him,"If You are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread." But Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.'" NKJV


The devil says to Jesus, “Who told You that You were the Son of God?  Here You are starving hungry, so why not prove it?  Hey, this stone looks about like a loaf of bread.  Just zap it into bread.”  But Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man cannot live by simply consuming food.  The true life-giving component of his daily diet is every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”  NUHV*


A.  Have I captured the truth inbedded in this scripture written first by Moses and quoted by Jesus?  My feeding on God’s Word is more “life-giving” than the food we eat.  I am surrounded by suggested diets for healthy living.  What is the matter with us?  We measure our diets in ounces and calories and wonder why our lives crumble into anger, jealousy and bitterness.


P.  Lord, I can see it now.  The devil wants me to concentrate my efforts on accumulating wealth so that I can eat healthy foods all the days of my life.  But if I leave Your Word out of my diet I will forfeit “Life” with a capital “L” and die in bitter hopelessness.  I confess I am likely to spend considerable time and effort choosing a healthy diet.  I pray that I may adjust my daily diet to include delving into Your Holy Word and seeking out choice morsels to feed my hungry soul.  Amen.


Ralph

*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version



No comments:

Post a Comment