Thursday, September 8, 2016

Dare I submit to God’s will?

Thursday 9-8-2016 Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading: Jer 42 – 44    Psalm 48    Rev 13
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer SOAP for the soul.

S. Jer 42:5-7 So they said to Jeremiah,"Let the LORD be a true and faithful witness between us, if we do not do according to everything which the LORD your God sends us by you.  Whether it is pleasing or displeasing, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God to whom we send you, that it may be well with us when we obey the voice of the LORD our God." And it happened after ten days that the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah. NKJV


O.  Jeremiah had a good record. The few people who survived had heard his previous prophecies and witnessed that they had always had been right on target. They are still afraid of the King of Babylon and are wanting Jeremiah to prophesy that God is saying to flee to Egypt.  Jeremiah waited 10 days before the Lord for His answer. But it was not the answer that the people were hoping for. So they broke their promise to do according to God’s will.  Like Jonah, they ran away from the revealed Word of God.


A.  So I am church shopping. I know what I am looking for. I want a certain style of music, an entertaining ministry for my kids and grandkids, soft seats and… oh yes, I want a preacher that tosses in a little humor, some exciting illustrations, not too loud, not too soft, a cool dude, with not much mention of sin… in summary, his preaching must be topped with sugar filled whipped cream on top.  Oh yes, and don’t expect me to volunteer for anything either.


P.  Lord, You really can’t blame these people for their fear. They had watched the armies of the king of Babylon trash their city, kill their neighbors and carry off every able man and woman as slaves. They even were religious and asked for Your advice through Your prophet Jeremiah. So far so good… but they had preconceived ideas of their own. Now they didn’t hear what they wanted to hear… so they ran away to Egypt… from the frying pan into the fire. Do I do that? Do I listen for Your still, small voice and then run the other way? Oh, Lord, as I am about to return to Argentina, I seek Your will, Your guidance, not what I want to hear, but Your best for me.  Amen,


Ralph

SUBMISSION 

Not what I wish to be nor where I wish to go 
For who am I that I should choose my way 
My Lord shall choose for me t is better far I know 
So let Him bid me go or stay 

The path that I have trod has brought me close to God 
Though oft it led through waters deep 
Though not the way I'd choose in my way I might lose 
The joy that yet for me awaits 

The cross that I must bear if I a crown would wear 
Is not the cross that I would take 
But if on me it's laid I'll take it unafraid 
And bear it for the masters sake 

Submission to the will of Him who loves me still 
Is surety of His love revealed 
My soul shall rise above the world in which I move 
I conquer only when I yield


No comments:

Post a Comment