Sunday, September 11, 2016

Fresh Morning Mercies

Saturday 9-10-2016 Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading: Lam 3 – 5    Rev 15
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer SOAP for the soul.

S.  Lam 3:22-24 Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed. Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" NKJV


O.  The judgment of God has fallen on sinful Jerusalem. The writer, probably Jeremiah, suffers with all the others as he witnesses the desolation, hunger and death of all their dreams of peace and happiness. Yet in the center of this poem of woe there is this light of hope. We are not dead and condemned to hell only because of the Lord’s mercies, compassion and faithfulness. He holds out hope, because he knows God.


A.  The book of Lamentations reminds me that I cannot rely upon my goodness to earn my way into the heart of God. He is not impressed by my display of holiness. He can see into my heart. He can read my inmost thoughts. He can read my selfish motivation. He knows me better than I know myself. I know I am unworthy of His salvation. I live, breathe, walk and talk today only as the result of His great mercies that are new every morning.


P.  Thank you, Lord. I am impressed by this spark of light amid the darkness suffered by the writer of Lamentations. There is hope. You are my hope in this dark world, my only hope. As I prepare to return to Argentina in 11 days I am counting on Your faithfulness. My strength is never enough. My wisdom is fragile and faulty. I need You to guide me every step of the way.  Amen.


Ralph

I need Thee. Oh I need Thee.
Every hour I need thee.
Oh bless me now my Savior
I come to Thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment