Thursday, September 8, 2016

Finally, “there was no remedy”

Wednesday 9-7-2016 Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 25    2 Chron 36    Jer 40 - 41    Rev 12
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Chron 36:15-16 And the LORD God of their fathers sent warnings to them by His messengers, rising up early and sending them, because He had compassion on His people and on His dwelling place. But they mocked the messengers of God, despised His words, and scoffed at His prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against His people, till there was no remedy. NKJV


O.  The book of 2 Chronicles summarizes the rebellious attitude of the wicked leaders in Jerusalem. God expressed His love for them by repeatedly sending His messengers, like Jeremiah, but they scoffed at and mistreated these servants of God. Finally, when “there was no remedy,” God removed His protection from the land and there was a great slaughter and the city’s palaces and the temple, once the beautiful temple of God, but that had now become desecrated with idols, was destroyed, its treasure stolen and it was burned with fire. 


A.  This disaster did not have to have happened.  In 2 Chron 7:14 God had given the way of escape: “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” NKJV  Oh! May I learn to listen to God’s warning. 

I was with my father on a deer hunting trip.  We were driving on back roads in the mountains of eastern Oregon.  Suddenly there was a sign with an arrow saying “detour.” But it pointed the wrong way.  Soon we found ourselves on a railroad track with no way to go… but back. Driving on a railroad track was not good, especially if a train might come. Somehow we got ourselves back on track… well, really, back off track.  But I heard my dad singing part of an old song that I’ll never forget, “Detour, there’s a muddy road ahead.  Detour, should of minded what it said.” 

P.  Open my eyes to Your detour signs, Lord. Open my ears to hear your words of warning. And I pray for this, our nation as we approach the voting in of a new president. May we listen to Your warnings. May we humble ourselves and pray and once again seek Your face. Please do not lift Your hand of protection from our country. Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment