Monday, September 12, 2016

“Just look at what I have achieved!”

Monday 9-12-2016 Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading: Daniel 3 – 4    Psalm 81    Rev 17
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer SOAP for the soul.

S.  Dan 4:28-31 All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. At the end of the twelve months he was walking about the royal palace of Babylon. The king spoke, saying, "Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?" While the word was still in the king's mouth, a voice fell from heaven: "King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: the kingdom has departed from you!  NKJV


O.  Nebuchadnezzar’s armies had, in effect, conquered the world. He had gathered around himself the wisest men of all these conquered nations. Now he was surrounded by people that would have voted for him. They practically worshipped him. But he made one big mistake. He gave no credit to the God of heaven Who had allowed all this to happen. In a sense, he began to see himself as his own god.


A.  I have learned very clearly from the Holy Scriptures that God hates pride and delights himself with those that recognize their Source of blessings. We Americans boast about the self-made man. He is that poverty stricken guy that, by his own hard work and wisdom, achieves riches and popularity. But the moment I see myself as my own benefactor, I am doomed to failure.  Proverbs 16:18 declares a true maxim: Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall. NIV


P.  Lord Jesus, You know I have never favored applause within the church… unless You are the object of the honor displayed. I believe that unwittingly we may damage an up-and-coming servant of God. When I was younger applause was never heard in church. There were only “Halleluyas” and “Amens” directed to God. But now, in our present culture, I am applauded in practically every service where I minister. I am in danger, for I know that the moment I see myself as worthy of that applause, I am setting myself up for a fall. Give me wisdom, Lord, without putting on “a show of my humility”, to quietly direct that honor and praise to You. For the truth is… I have nothing worthy of praise that did not come as a free gift from You, my generous Savior.

Lord, You know that right now many friends are reading my life’s story. I have tried to step back and display You as the Hero of my book. May my readers bow before You and give You all the glory! Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment