Sunday, September 25, 2016

How dare I approach a Holy God

Thursday 9-22-16 (Arrived this morning at Martinez, Argentina)
Scripture reading:   Dan 9 – 10   Psalm 123   Luke 5  S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Dan 9:18-19 “We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy.  O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name."

O.  I was preaching a tent crusade in the city of Salta to help plant a church. I was being kidded by my co-workers because somehow I always attracted the drunks. Actually I always loved to see people that knew they needed “out” to come. During the service a man, obviously drunk, stood up in the back and interrupted the service with a little speech.  At the altar call he came forward with many others.  I made him wait until last and asked him to just cry out to God for His mercy. He started out, “God, you know I am really very good man and an honorable citizen and I … “ I had to interrupt him and explain to him how to approach God.

Often people who do not truly know the Lord begin their prayers by informing God how good they are.  It is a certain sign that they know little or nothing of biblical truth.  Daniel had to be one of the most upright men in history, yet he came into the presence of God with a repentant heart. 

A.  How do I approach God?  Is my heart prideful and boasting to itself that today I’ve been pretty good boy so God will probably hear me?  Isaiah was probably a pretty good guy, but when God revealed himself to him in all of His glory and splendor, he cried out, “Woe is me for I am a man of unclean lips and dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips!”  Peter fell to his knees probably waist deep in still flopping fish and cried out, “Oh, Jesus, I am such a sinner, I am too close to you.” 

P.  My God, my God!  I am too close to you!  Your presence has invaded my unworthy life. Peter was trapped in a little boat with You, Jesus, when he discovered Who you really are. Here I am in this room and You are here with me. I, unlike Peter, could escape out the door and run into the surrounding streets, but I could never escape from you. Your love and your mercy surround me. Your presence is a revelation of Your love, Your forgiveness and your kindness to repentant sinners. Search me, Oh Lord, and know my heart I pray… Cleanse me from every sin and set me free!  Amen.

Ralph
Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.





No comments:

Post a Comment