Monday, July 18, 2016

It’s a Highway to Heaven

Monday 7-18-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Isaiah 32 - 35     James 2
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Isa 35:8  A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness.  The unclean shall not pass over it.
Vs 10  And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing with everlasting joy on their heads.  They shall obtain joy and gladness and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.  NKJV

O.  For three chapters the prophet Isaiah has breathed out God’s terrifying judgment on the wicked.  Suddenly in chapter 35 he fills the air with promises of ransom, redemption and singing with joy and new hope. 

A.  Nobody wants to sing about God’s wrath against sinners.  We don’t write songs about that.  Yet the truth stands that unless I can first recognize my sinful state, the reality of my deserving of God’s judgment, I cannot fully rejoice in His free gift of cleansing and reconciliation with Him.  But now I can sing as I march up that wonderful highway for I am among the ransomed of the Lord
*Story below.

P.  Lord, You called it the Highway of Holiness.  We don’t use that term “holiness” much anymore.  It became a legalistic term representing religious prigs.  But I must not forget that Your highway is one of true holiness.  I want to walk there with You... and hopefully take a lot of friends with me.  Amen.


Ralph

*We were just kids in my mid-teens.  My friend, Jill, wanted me to take her to a black church.  So we dropped in and took a seat.  Obviously we stood out since were the only whites in the congregation.  The service hadn’t started yet.  Someone came to us and asked, “Which one of you plays the piano?”  Jill pointed at me.  They took me up on the platform and sat me on the piano bench.  I wasn’t that good on the piano and was terrified.  They announced a song.  I gave them a little intro and away they went!  Wow!  Could they sing!  I pounded all over that piano and I doubt that anyone could even hear me.  The blacks have a way of putting their whole being into song.

If you dare... check this one out... “Highway to Heaven:”  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNyVdVgnHc









No comments:

Post a Comment