Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Neglect or reject... equal dangers.

Tuesday 7-5-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Hosea 2 – 5    Hebrews 2
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Heb 2:1-4  Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.  For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?  NKJV

O.  The early Church first met together with the Jews in the synagogues and the Temple in Jerusalem.  But with the stoning of Stephen and the rise of Saul (Paul) the persecutor, a line was being defined between traditional Jewish followers of God via the old law... and the Christians, who trusted in Jesus Christ for their salvation.  Now they were thrown out of the synagogues and persecuted.  They fled for their lives and planted new churches everywhere.  Most of the epistles, written by the apostles, were directed to mixed congregations of Jews and gentiles.  But this book is directed to the Jewish Christians who were suffering under strong persecution.  Their Jewish friends were calling them back to serve under the law and forget this new religion.   

A.  How shall I escape if I neglect so great a salvation? It was spoken by the Lord Jesus Himself, confirmed by those who heard Him, with signs and wonders, miracles, plus the gifts of the Holy Spirit?  It does not say, “if I reject so great a salvation.”  I can say, “Oh yes, I am a Christian.”  Yet we can get so wrapped up in a life-style of nice family activities that we unconsciously leave church and Christ on the outside.  Our danger is not that we reject Christ.  It is that we neglect Him, forgetting our lifeline of active participation in a Christian body of believers. (See Heb. 10:23-25 below*)  

P.  Lord, where is my greatest danger?  It is not that I turn my back upon You in rejection.  It is certainly in becoming so involved in other, even healthy activities that I set You aside.  My religion, becomes just that... another religion.  But Lord, may I never fail to be consumed by my burning love for You.  May that love drive me to Your Word, then to my knees and to my place of worship together with fellow Christians.  Oh, so many, once fervent believers, have succumbed to the sin of neglect.  Draw them back, I pray, with cords of love.  Amen.

Ralph
*Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. (Heb 10:23-25) NKJV



No comments:

Post a Comment