Thursday, July 14, 2016

My actions declare my faith.

Thursday 7-14-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Isaiah 19-21     Hebrews 11
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Heb 11:4  By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks. NKJV

O.  Hebrews chapter 11 is the hall of fame for the great patriarchs that acted in faith.  The persons named in this chapter had faith that was active and vital.  It was a faith that motivated them.  The list starts with Adam and Eve’s son, Abel. 

A.  I am not saved by the good works that I do, but by my faith in God’s great work through His Son, Jesus.  Yet in each of these servants of God listed in this chapter, their actions were the proof of their faith.  Melanchthon, a 16th century collaborator with Martin Luther, expressed it this way, “It is faith alone which saves, but faith that saves is not alone.”  My actions declare my faith.

P.  Heavenly Father, as You look upon me from Your heaven, may my daily life declare my living faith in You!  Abel, was long ago dead and gone, yet he “still speaks.”  Lord, I suppose that very soon I will be stepping off this planet to go home.  But if my name is ever remembered, if my voice should continue to speak after I am gone, may it speak of a faith that motivated godly conduct.  I trust in You and You alone!  Amen.

Ralph
Trust and Obey
By John H. Sammis 1887

1.    When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
o    Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
2.    Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
3.    Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.
4.    But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
5.    Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.




No comments:

Post a Comment