Saturday, July 16, 2016

Tall preacher, short bed.

Saturday 7-16-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Isaiah 25-28     Hebrews 13
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Isa 28:20  For the bed is too short to stretch out on and the covering so narrow that one cannot wrap himself in it.  NKJV

O.  God is describing Israel’s unsatisfactory human efforts to protect themselves from His divine judgment for their sin.

A.  The year was probably 1940 and I was 9 years old when Evangelist Harry Springer set up a large tent in Portland, Oregon.  Mother took us to every Gospel ‘happening’ that existed.  I’ll never forget this tall skinny preacher that acted out his sermons.  Once he literally leaped over the pulpit and landed standing on the old altar bench.  That’s how I remembered his name: “Springer”.  One night he preached from the above text. (Isaiah 28:20) He took two chairs and faced them together to make a very short bed.  Then he tried to squeeze his long, lanky body onto that bed and tried to cover himself with his jacket.  “Them was the days!”  I don’t remember how he applied that text.  I just recall his wild actions and that his wife, who sat on the platform, nodded her head to the rhythm of the music which was uncommon in those days.  And I remember that every night at the altar call I wanted to go up and get saved again just to make sure.

So what’s with a bed too short and a covering too narrow? It’s the religion of millions. We think we’re pretty good, at least not as bad as that other guy over there.  But we are really crumpled up on an inadequate bed.  Our good deeds, like Brother Springer’s jacket, fall far short of covering our sins to shelter us from God’s judgment.  Then Jesus came to become our covering.

P.  Lord, I thank you for a mother that wanted to expose her children to every significant Gospel event.  She was hungry for God’s best and planted that same hunger inside our hearts.  Jesus, You know that the total of all my good deeds could never out-weigh the guilt of my sin.  Praise God!  I am covered with a robe of righteousness that only You could provide for me.  I trust in You.  Amen.

Ralph  

“I will greatly rejoice in the LORD.  My soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation.  He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”  Isa 61:10 NKJV

I Am Covered Over With The Robe of Righteousness 
I am covered over with the robe of righteousness that
Jesus gives to me, gives to me;
I am covered over with the precious blood of Jesus
And he lives in me, he lives in me,
Oh what a joy it is to know my Heavenly Father loves me so,
He gives to me, my Jesus,
When He looks at me He sees not what I use to be, but
He sees Jesus, Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment