Friday, July 29, 2016

Only 999 Short

Friday 7-29-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Isaiah 57 – 59    Psalm 103    2 Peter 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Ps 103:1-5  Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. NKJV

O.  King David probably did not have many close friends... so he talked to himself.  He gave himself instructions in worship.  And check out the list of the benefits: Forgiveness for sins, healing, redemption, protection from destruction, lovingkindness and tender mercies.  All this plus a physical and spiritual renewal!

A.  This is probably my favorite psalm.  I memorized it when I was 13 and quoted it to the whole church at my Pastor William Booth-Clibborn’s insistence.  The rest of the psalm is as powerful as it’s beginning.  Almost every phrase rings bells of joy inside my soul. 

P.  Lord, You awoke me at 4:30 AM this morning.  You came to visit me!  I found myself walking through the semi- darkness of my house praising You in a Spanish, English and another language that You understand better than I do.  When I count my blessings it makes me start talking to myself.  I start giving orders to my soul using the two languages that I speak and with unknown languages of the Spirit... “Get with it, Ralph!  Let your soul bless the Lord!”  Amen.

Ralph  (story below)
Note: While I studied at Western Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary, I was surrounded by dedicated young men and ladies that were being taught emphatically that “unknown tongues” were not for today.  However, one of their favorite hymns was “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing!”  They sang it over and over in chapel services.  They were only 999 short!
Charles Wesley in the 1700s
1 O for a thousand tongues to sing
my great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!
2 My gracious Master and my God,
assist me to proclaim,
to spread thro' all the earth abroad
the honors of your name.
3 Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
that bids our sorrows cease,
'tis music in the sinner's ears,
'tis life and health and peace.
4 He breaks the power of cancelled sin,
he sets the prisoner free;
his blood can make the foulest clean;
his blood availed for me.
5 To God all glory, praise, and love
be now and ever given
by saints below and saints above,
the Church in earth and heaven.



     


No comments:

Post a Comment