Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A drop of water in the sun

Wednesday 7-8-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:    Hosea 13-14    Psalm 100, 102    Heb 5

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer


S.  Ps 102:11-12  My life passes as swiftly as the evening shadows.  I am withering like grass. But you, O LORD, will rule forever. Your fame will endure to every generation. NLT


O.  The psalmist is reflecting upon his brief time upon this earth.  The morning of his youth was bright and cheery.  Now shadows announce the approaching of the final moments of the day.  The psalmist’s fame will disappear even when men strive to give him a place in history, but God’s fame will endure for future generations even when men strive to stamp it out.  Mortality is contrasted with the eternal God.


A.  The Lord has given me 83 wonderful years, yet when I look back they seem brief.  Hours became days, days became years, years became decades and now the evening shadows announce the inevitable approach of the end of my useful days.  But I need not fall into depression… for I am aligned with my eternal God.  I can look beyond the sunset of this life to the breaking of a new and eternal day!


P.  Lord, this morning, while looking from my breakfast window you called my attention to a drop of water on a leafy plant in my garden.  It was only one tiny drop, but it reflected the almost blinding brightness of the sun.  By moving my head from side to side it changed from white to red and blue.  I wanted to capture its beauty on film, but… behold, now it was gone!  And you told me that I am that drop of water.  You allow me the privilege to reflect Your brightness to a dark world.  You have chosen me for a purpose.  I can only shine when reflecting Your light.  Like that drop of water… So soon it is over.  And that would seem sad, except for one thing.  You are calling me from this fleeting life into Your eternity, where evening shadows are unknown… Your land of eternal day!  Amen.


Ralph


Reflection:  Where did that drop of water go?  It was there a moment ago.  Now it is gone… or is it?  Without the touch of hands it has been lifted unseen, invisible into the air to float on a feathery cloud high above… destined to water someone else’s garden another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment