Monday, July 20, 2015

Welcome at my table anyway

Monday 7-20-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading: 2 Chron 29-31    James 4
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  2 Chron 29:3-5 Hezekiah reopened the doors of the Temple of the LORD and repaired them. 29:24  The king had specifically commanded that this burnt offering and sin offering should be made for all Israel. 30:1  King Hezekiah now sent word to all Israel and Judah, and he wrote letters of invitation to Ephraim and Manasseh. 30:10-11  But most of the people just laughed at the messengers and made fun of them.  30:27  Then the Levitical priests stood and blessed the people, and God heard them from his holy dwelling in heaven.  31:21  Hezekiah sought his God wholeheartedly. As a result, he was very successful.  NLT


O.  The new king Hezekiah, 25 years old, decided to revive the worship of the true and living God.  I was struck by five things: 
·       He cleaned all the garbage out of the abandoned temple, including idols. 
·       He included the other 10 tribes that had defected from Judah* and invited them to the Passover celebration.
·       Even though many scoffed at his invitation, he blessed those that came and even gave them special privileges at the table.
·       When the Passover was celebrated, God heard from heaven.
·       Hezekiah went after God with his whole heart… and thus was successful.


*Although the ten tribes of Israel had seceded from the nation and gone into total idolatry and had even had sent their armies and fought against Jerusalem.  Yet Hezekiah now sent them heralds with letters of invitation.  Good job, King Hezekiah!  


A.  There is much for me to learn from this record of King Hezekiah’s revival.  I especially like the fact that he included “all Israel.”  It would be something like inviting the Roman Catholics to an evangelical revival and seating them in the front row.  Many of these Israelites had not gone through the cleansing ceremonies and thus were not in legal condition to partake of the Passover.  So Hezekiah prayed for them and God received them anyway.  God was looking at the heart.


Yesterday, I arrived that the River Church that seats 3,000 at 10 AM, knowing that the service with Dante and Liliana Gebel did not start until 11.  Since I was early, I decided to gas-up at the ARCO service station… the same station I used to manage at night in 1953 to 55… exactly one block from the arena.  Sandy was a pleasant young lady that took my money.  I noticed that she had a slight Spanish accent and spoke to her in Spanish.  I pointed to the line-up of people forming all down the block 45 minutes before the doors opened and invited her to River Church (Spanish speaking church) where I would be participating in a few moments.  “Do you do a mass there?” she asked.  I told her we sing and worship the Lord and the pastor preaches.  Before I left to fill my gas tank, Sandy told me that next Sunday she has a day off and she promised me that she will come.  I hope she does.


P.  God, You know that I am not an ecumenical freak, trying to lower the bar of Your message to include other religions.  But I thank You that You open the door to everyone.  You know that I have often thanked You for the Roman Catholics in South America, since, although they have strayed away from many teachings of the Bible… yet they have left a deep hunger inside their people to really know God.  And for this reason they often come running when they discover that the door to Your presence is open for them through Jesus Christ without the intervention of a priest.  And You were present with us yesterday as my little Felipe did his thing for the children and adults and 3,000 Spanish speaking believers worshipped You for 2 ½ hours!  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment