Saturday, July 18, 2015

Hey, Brother James, now you’re meddlin’.

Friday 7-18-15 (Home, Modesto, California)
Scripture reading:    Isaiah 32-35    James 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  James 2:1-4  My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim that you have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people more than others? For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes.  If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor" — well, doesn't this discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives? NLT


O.  They tell us that James, the half brother of Jesus, didn’t even believe in Jesus until after the resurrection.  His preaching style shows that he was a “down to earth kind-a-guy”.  He deals with issues that confront us daily.  Like the old country boys used to say about the preacher, “He gets to meddlin’.”


A.  Have not I become more excited to see a nice clean, middle-class family visit my church… than to see another that pushes their cart full of their belongings and leaves the cart close by the front door?  James helps me see myself as I really am deep down inside.  He is talking about “faith”… faith that moves us into actions like those of Jesus. 


I remember when I was pastor in Colfax and someone told me about a new Assemblies of God family that had just moved into town.  They were still in a motel.  I dashed over to see them and netted a wonderful family of six!  The wife became Sunday School superintendent… and they were musicians… What a catch!  I look back now and wonder if I would have dashed over there that fast if I thought they were a needy family.  Hmmm, come to think of it I had no idea if they were wealthy or poverty stricken.  Wow!  I escaped that one! 


P.   Father, Your Holy Word is telling me that my faith should show up in my actions… and if it does not, then it is not valid faith at all.  And if I keep alert, then every single day You provide me with several chances to demonstrate it.   Lord, of course, You know my heart.  And even if I was bed-ridden and unable to react with other people… even so, You can see my level of faith.  You also can see my actions and although others may think I am a model Christian, You know if my faith is valid.  


So today I am asking You, through my tears… for a fresh, double portion of a deep-seated, fervent faith that, as You examine my heart, will please You… and then in every opportunity You allow me… that my renewed faith, based in Your goodness and grace, will become visible to those around me.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment